North Bay News
Girl raped by man she asked for help making phone call
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- A Santa Rosa girl was raped in Julliard Park Thursday night when she asked a man if she could borrow his cellphone, police said Friday.
The 17-year-old girl was in the park on Santa Rosa Avenue around 8:30 p.m. when she asked a man sitting near her if she could use his phone to call someone for a ride home, Sgt. David Linscomb said.
The man gave her his phone, but then grabbed her and dragged her under a tree, where he removed her clothing and raped her, Linscomb said.
The girl was able to get away when a group of young men called to the suspect and asked him what he was doing, causing him to get off her.
The victim left the park and walked to the Roxy Theater, where she called for a ride, Linscomb said.
The attacker is described as a white male, possibly in his 20s, between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet tall, wearing checkered shorts with a gray belt and a chain hanging from them.
Anyone who may have witnessed the attack or who has information on the identity of the suspect is asked to call police Detective Jeneane Kucker at (707) 543-3595.
santa rosa, crime, sex crimes, north bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 27 min ago
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday