North Bay News
Girl raped by man she asked for help making phone call
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- A Santa Rosa girl was raped in Julliard Park Thursday night when she asked a man if she could borrow his cellphone, police said Friday.
The 17-year-old girl was in the park on Santa Rosa Avenue around 8:30 p.m. when she asked a man sitting near her if she could use his phone to call someone for a ride home, Sgt. David Linscomb said.
The man gave her his phone, but then grabbed her and dragged her under a tree, where he removed her clothing and raped her, Linscomb said.
The girl was able to get away when a group of young men called to the suspect and asked him what he was doing, causing him to get off her.
The victim left the park and walked to the Roxy Theater, where she called for a ride, Linscomb said.
The attacker is described as a white male, possibly in his 20s, between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet tall, wearing checkered shorts with a gray belt and a chain hanging from them.
Anyone who may have witnessed the attack or who has information on the identity of the suspect is asked to call police Detective Jeneane Kucker at (707) 543-3595.
santa rosa, crime, sex crimes, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos