North Bay News
Felon arrested after evading police, falling from roof
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- A Clovis man wanted on several warrants was arrested after he fell from a San Rafael roof while attempting to evade police on Tuesday night, police said.
San Rafael police received information from Fresno police Tuesday afternoon that Michael Cole Kitley, 40, a known burglar in the Fresno area, was possibly staying at a hotel in San Rafael, police said.
Kitnley had numerous outstanding felony warrants for identity theft, stolen vehicle and a $295,000 warrant for burglary, police said.
San Rafael police traced Kitley to the Villa Inn on Lincoln Avenue and set up surveillance on the hotel, according to police.
At about 11 p.m., Kitley drove through the inn's parking lot then drove away on Lincoln Avenue.
Police followed him to the 100 block of Prospect Drive, where he stopped suddenly, exited his vehicle and ran through the backyards of several homes.
Kitley got onto a roof of a nearby house and fell as he attempted to run across it, police said. He suffered minor abrasions in the fall and was evaluated at Marin General Hospital before being taken to jail.
Police found two stolen, loaded firearms in Kitley's vehicle and another stolen handgun near where he had abandoned the car.
Investigators also found passports, ID cards, social security cards and other items believed to have been stolen, police said. Detectives are working to return the stolen items the victims.
Kitley was booked into Marin County Jail for being a felon in possession of firearms and possession of stolen property, as well as his outstanding warrants, police said.
Anyone with information about Kitley is asked to call San Rafael police at (415) 485-3000.
san rafael, crime, north bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 39 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
30 min ago