North Bay News
Felon arrested after evading police, falling from roof
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- A Clovis man wanted on several warrants was arrested after he fell from a San Rafael roof while attempting to evade police on Tuesday night, police said.
San Rafael police received information from Fresno police Tuesday afternoon that Michael Cole Kitley, 40, a known burglar in the Fresno area, was possibly staying at a hotel in San Rafael, police said.
Kitnley had numerous outstanding felony warrants for identity theft, stolen vehicle and a $295,000 warrant for burglary, police said.
San Rafael police traced Kitley to the Villa Inn on Lincoln Avenue and set up surveillance on the hotel, according to police.
At about 11 p.m., Kitley drove through the inn's parking lot then drove away on Lincoln Avenue.
Police followed him to the 100 block of Prospect Drive, where he stopped suddenly, exited his vehicle and ran through the backyards of several homes.
Kitley got onto a roof of a nearby house and fell as he attempted to run across it, police said. He suffered minor abrasions in the fall and was evaluated at Marin General Hospital before being taken to jail.
Police found two stolen, loaded firearms in Kitley's vehicle and another stolen handgun near where he had abandoned the car.
Investigators also found passports, ID cards, social security cards and other items believed to have been stolen, police said. Detectives are working to return the stolen items the victims.
Kitley was booked into Marin County Jail for being a felon in possession of firearms and possession of stolen property, as well as his outstanding warrants, police said.
Anyone with information about Kitley is asked to call San Rafael police at (415) 485-3000.
san rafael, crime, north bay news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 5 min ago
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 40 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery 28 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday