North Bay News
Driver hits pedestrian, slams into restaurant
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (KGO) -- In San Rafael a driver hit a pedestrian before slamming into a restaurant. It happened on Fourth Street at the city's popular Thursday night farmer's market.
It was shortly after 5 p.m. when a Chevy Blazer smashed into Lundy's Home Cooking in San Rafael. The restaurant was closed for the night, but there was a woman on the sidewalk. The driver of the Blazer is a 55-year-old El Sobrante man.
"Looks like it jumped the curb and hit a pedestrian, a woman who was walking on Fourth street, pushed her through the front of the business and she was pinned inside, underneath the car," said Margo Rohrbacher from the San Rafael Police Department.
"I heard the noise like an explosion," said Bobby Singh.
Singh was next door helping one of his customers at Winton's News and Liquors. He ran out to see what happened. "I see the driver of the car was inside the car and then I hear the noise was coming underneath the car, 'Help, help.' You know, some pedestrian, I think, she was under the car."
The 78-year-old woman who was hit, was taken to Marin General with major injuries. The driver stayed to cooperate with police who tell me he's a vendor at the city's Thursday night farmers market.
"This part of Fourth Street is closed to all vehicle traffic starting at about 5 p.m. with the exception of vendors who can drive through, drop off and set up and then pull out, which was apparently what he was starting to do," said Rohrbacher.
But what happened next is unclear. There was no immediate arrest and after being questioned by police, the driver of the blazer returned to retrieve his belongings.
The restaurant owner said they do have insurance, although he is much more concerned about the woman who was sent to the hospital.
san rafael, north bay news, ama daetz
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 57 min ago
- Alameda County Fair opens with new food, new rides
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- South SF husband and wife charged with pimping 25 min ago
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease 2 min ago
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co.
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Three arrested in connection with fatal E. SJ stabbing 51 min ago
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear...
57 min ago