North Bay News
Driver hits pedestrian, slams into restaurant
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (KGO) -- In San Rafael a driver hit a pedestrian before slamming into a restaurant. It happened on Fourth Street at the city's popular Thursday night farmer's market.
It was shortly after 5 p.m. when a Chevy Blazer smashed into Lundy's Home Cooking in San Rafael. The restaurant was closed for the night, but there was a woman on the sidewalk. The driver of the Blazer is a 55-year-old El Sobrante man.
"Looks like it jumped the curb and hit a pedestrian, a woman who was walking on Fourth street, pushed her through the front of the business and she was pinned inside, underneath the car," said Margo Rohrbacher from the San Rafael Police Department.
"I heard the noise like an explosion," said Bobby Singh.
Singh was next door helping one of his customers at Winton's News and Liquors. He ran out to see what happened. "I see the driver of the car was inside the car and then I hear the noise was coming underneath the car, 'Help, help.' You know, some pedestrian, I think, she was under the car."
The 78-year-old woman who was hit, was taken to Marin General with major injuries. The driver stayed to cooperate with police who tell me he's a vendor at the city's Thursday night farmers market.
"This part of Fourth Street is closed to all vehicle traffic starting at about 5 p.m. with the exception of vendors who can drive through, drop off and set up and then pull out, which was apparently what he was starting to do," said Rohrbacher.
But what happened next is unclear. There was no immediate arrest and after being questioned by police, the driver of the blazer returned to retrieve his belongings.
The restaurant owner said they do have insurance, although he is much more concerned about the woman who was sent to the hospital.
san rafael, north bay news, ama daetz
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 45 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 58 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 19 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 22 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday