North Bay News
Meteor fragment found in Novato
NOVATO, Calif. (KGO) -- NASA scientists have recovered the first chunk of the spectacular meteor seen streaking across the Bay Area sky Wednesday night.
It apparently hit the roof of a house in Novato, bounced a couple of times and ended up on the ground.
The homeowner says she heard a loud thud that night. Lisa Webber says she remembers because the house was quiet, she had just turned off the TV after the Giants game was in a rain delay.
She found the meteor fragment in her backyard a couple days later.
Webber contacted scientists with the SETI Institute in Mountain View who have confirmed the piece of rock is indeed a small chunk of the meteor.
mill valley, space, north bay news
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield 54 min ago
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland 54 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting 52 min ago
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- Burlingame restaurant to stop serving lion meat dish
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos