North Bay News
State hospital workers remember death of colleague
NAPA, Calif. (KGO) -- It's been exactly two years since a mental patient murdered a Napa State Hospital employee. It was a tragedy that compelled administrators to improve safety at the hospital. Employees are still fighting for more.
Two years ago, Napa State Hospital psych technician Donna Gross was strangled to death by a patient Jess Massey in the courtyard of the hospital.
"And we would raise the issue and raise the issue until Donna's murder we didn't get any sort of resolve," Zach Hatton, chief steward of one of the hospital unions, said.
Since then, there have been major safety improvements including alarm devices that instantly send out an employee's exact location. Twelve new psych technicians and 13 hospital police officers have also been hired.
"We are working openly and honestly together to identify the problems that we have and develop plans of correction for those problems," Napa State Hospital Executive Director Dolly Matteucci said.
Despite the changes hospital employees say they're still fighting for more improvements.
"We still have a long ways to go; we still have too many assaults," psych tech Linda Monahan said.
Hospital employee unions want police officers to be armed with more than a baton and pepper spray.
"I think they should be armed; I mean, we've had escapes recently from custody," Hatton said.
"At this time there is not a move toward arming out police officers," Matteucci said.
The coalition of five unions are also asking for specialty units for violently ill patients and they say they'll continue fighting for these improvements in honor of Gross.
napa, napa state hospital, crime, murder, mental health, north bay news, alan wang
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Report: 1 dead in boat accident near Redwood City 43 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 25 min ago
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos