North Bay News
Deck fire sparked by barbecue coals displaces 10 residents
SAN RAFAEL -- A fire at a San Rafael apartment complex Saturday morning that appears to have been sparked by barbecue materials left on a deck overnight displaced as many as 10 residents, San Rafael fire officials said.
Fire crews responded to a fire at an apartment building at 220 Canal St. at 9:40 a.m. after someone out on the water reported the flames, fire officials said.
When crews arrived, the fire was burning toward the rear of the complex on a second floor deck, fire official said.
Firefighters helped evacuate residents from the 43-unit complex, while other crews knocked down the blaze.
The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes, however crews remained at the complex into the late morning checking that the fire did not spread within the walls and ceilings.
No injuries to residents or the 18 firefighters that responded were reported, fire officials said.
Fire officials said the apartment where the fire started had a non-functioning smoke detector with its battery removed.
The fire is under investigation, but it appears to have been started by the remnants of a barbecue from Friday night.
The damage to the apartment and its contents was estimated around $30,000, fire officials said.
The American Red Cross was called to the apartment complex to assist with anywhere from five to 10 displaced residents, fire officials said.
Fire officials urge residents to not leave barbecue coals near combustibles. Additionally, after a barbecue the coals should be watered down and placed in a metal container.
Fire officials also advise having a working smoke detector and taking time when turning back clocks for the end of daylight saving time Sunday to check and replace smoke detector batteries.
fire, evacuation, north bay news
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 19 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 24 min ago
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
19 min ago
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
24 min ago