North Bay News
Man arrested for alleged DUI hit-and-run
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Police arrested a man suspected of hitting and critically injured a pedestrian while driving under the influence in Santa Rosa early this morning.
Officers were called around 12:20 a.m. to reports of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian near the intersection of Guerneville Road and Coffey Lane in Santa Rosa, Sgt. Rich Celli said.
Police arriving on the scene did not find the vehicle involved but located the pedestrian, who was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, Celli said.
Officers learned from a 911 caller that an older-model car had hit the pedestrian and drove east away from the scene.
After a witness gave a description of a damaged vehicle seen driving in the area, an officer located a car at Steele Lane and Range Avenue matching that description, with major damage to its front end and windshield.
Police stopped the car and found evidence linking the car and its driver to the hit-and-run collision.
Officers identified the driver as 30-year-old Christian Pena Ballesteros of Santa Rosa, who is on probation for a prior DUI conviction, according to Celli.
Ballesteros was arrested for committing an alleged felony hit-and-run, DUI and violating his probation.
Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision and expect eastbound lanes of Guerneville Road near Coffey Lane to remain closed throughout the early morning.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call Santa Rosa police Officer Dan Hackett at (707) 543-3636.
santa rosa, DUI, hit and run, crash, north bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 58 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 58 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 59 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 58 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...