North Bay News
Man arrested for alleged DUI hit-and-run
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Police arrested a man suspected of hitting and critically injured a pedestrian while driving under the influence in Santa Rosa early this morning.
Officers were called around 12:20 a.m. to reports of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian near the intersection of Guerneville Road and Coffey Lane in Santa Rosa, Sgt. Rich Celli said.
Police arriving on the scene did not find the vehicle involved but located the pedestrian, who was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, Celli said.
Officers learned from a 911 caller that an older-model car had hit the pedestrian and drove east away from the scene.
After a witness gave a description of a damaged vehicle seen driving in the area, an officer located a car at Steele Lane and Range Avenue matching that description, with major damage to its front end and windshield.
Police stopped the car and found evidence linking the car and its driver to the hit-and-run collision.
Officers identified the driver as 30-year-old Christian Pena Ballesteros of Santa Rosa, who is on probation for a prior DUI conviction, according to Celli.
Ballesteros was arrested for committing an alleged felony hit-and-run, DUI and violating his probation.
Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision and expect eastbound lanes of Guerneville Road near Coffey Lane to remain closed throughout the early morning.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call Santa Rosa police Officer Dan Hackett at (707) 543-3636.
santa rosa, DUI, hit and run, crash, north bay news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday