North Bay News
Man arrested for alleged DUI hit-and-run
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Police arrested a man suspected of hitting and critically injured a pedestrian while driving under the influence in Santa Rosa early this morning.
Officers were called around 12:20 a.m. to reports of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian near the intersection of Guerneville Road and Coffey Lane in Santa Rosa, Sgt. Rich Celli said.
Police arriving on the scene did not find the vehicle involved but located the pedestrian, who was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, Celli said.
Officers learned from a 911 caller that an older-model car had hit the pedestrian and drove east away from the scene.
After a witness gave a description of a damaged vehicle seen driving in the area, an officer located a car at Steele Lane and Range Avenue matching that description, with major damage to its front end and windshield.
Police stopped the car and found evidence linking the car and its driver to the hit-and-run collision.
Officers identified the driver as 30-year-old Christian Pena Ballesteros of Santa Rosa, who is on probation for a prior DUI conviction, according to Celli.
Ballesteros was arrested for committing an alleged felony hit-and-run, DUI and violating his probation.
Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision and expect eastbound lanes of Guerneville Road near Coffey Lane to remain closed throughout the early morning.
Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call Santa Rosa police Officer Dan Hackett at (707) 543-3636.
santa rosa, DUI, hit and run, crash, north bay news
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Memorial taking place in SF to honor Mandela
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay 59 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos