North Bay News
7 rescued after boat overturns in Tomales Bay
SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a dramatic rescue Sunday afternoon after a boat overturned near Dillon Beach in Northwestern Marin County. Five people were pulled from the water, but two others had to be cut from the boat. Those rescued from the boat were taken to Petaluma Valley Hospital.
The group chose a beautiful day to go out on the water, but unfortunately, their 25-foot pleasure craft overturned just off Dillon Beach at the mouth of Tomales Bay as a result of turbulent conditions.
A Sonoma County Sheriff's department helicopter pulled five people from the water. Two children, meanwhile, were trapped inside the cabin in the capsized boat. They remained inside as the vessel was being towed to shore. That's when rescue crews, using extrication tools, cut a hole in the hull to let the kids out.
Onlookers applauded as rescue crews took each child to safety. They both looked wet, but appeared to be okay, "After rescuing the children, and actually making contact with the children on the boat, understanding that they were alert, and conversing, it was a big sense of relief because normally these types of incidents don't' turn out as well as it did," said Marin County Fire Department Battalion Chief Bill Roberts. "This was a very happy ending,"
Both children were taken away by ambulance, but as you heard, none of the seven people on board were said to have been seriously injured, mild hypothermia was said to be the extent of it.
According to the Marin County Fire Department, none of the people rescued were seen wearing life vests.
sonoma county, boats, north bay news, lilian kim
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 5 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos