North Bay News
14-year-old arrested for kidnapping, assault of 65-year-old
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- New details are emerging in the brutal kidnapping and assault of an elderly Solano County woman. Police say a 14-year old suspect carjacked the woman in front of a business on Plaza Drive in Vallejo, sexually assaulted her and then left her in a ditch near Interstate 80.
It was about 5 p.m. on Thursday when Vallejo police say a 65-year-old Solano County woman walking to her minivan in a parking lot was confronted by a 14-year-old boy with a gun.
"She had been forced to drive to a location within miles of the point of her abduction, where she was assaulted, left unconscious, duct taped in a ditch," Vallejo Police Lt. Jim O'Connell said.
The ditch was in the area of Hiddenbrooke Parkway near Interstate 80. Passers-by found the woman.
At about the same time, the victim's family received a phone call from the suspect demanding money in exchange for her return.
In the meantime, police say the boy drove the victim's van back to the Toys "R" Us parking lot where a witness told ABC7 News, he then asked a young female employee if she'd like to go see the new "Twilight" movie with him. When the girl refused, the boy went into the store after her and a short time later employees started yelling.
"All of sudden you hear one of the guys in the back of the store yelling to call 911 and lock the doors, no one in, no one out and everyone runs to the front of the store," the witness said. "A bunch of police come running in through the door and you hear a bunch of stuff going on in the back of the store, shuffling and stuff and after a while they handcuff the kid and brought him forward."
Friday, the store open for business as usual, though some shoppers were nervous about what had happened the night before.
"I heard on the news that someone was abducted from this parking lot at night..that's kind of scary," shopper Sharon Petrellese said.
The 65-year-old victim is recovering at a local hospital.
The 14-year-old is in juvenile hall in Fairfield. He's charged with assault, armed robbery, attempted murder, carjacking and kidnapping for ransom. The gun he had was a fake.
vallejo, crime, sex crimes, north bay news, laura anthony
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto 46 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 22 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday