North Bay News
14-year-old arrested for kidnapping, assault of 65-year-old
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- New details are emerging in the brutal kidnapping and assault of an elderly Solano County woman. Police say a 14-year old suspect carjacked the woman in front of a business on Plaza Drive in Vallejo, sexually assaulted her and then left her in a ditch near Interstate 80.
It was about 5 p.m. on Thursday when Vallejo police say a 65-year-old Solano County woman walking to her minivan in a parking lot was confronted by a 14-year-old boy with a gun.
"She had been forced to drive to a location within miles of the point of her abduction, where she was assaulted, left unconscious, duct taped in a ditch," Vallejo Police Lt. Jim O'Connell said.
The ditch was in the area of Hiddenbrooke Parkway near Interstate 80. Passers-by found the woman.
At about the same time, the victim's family received a phone call from the suspect demanding money in exchange for her return.
In the meantime, police say the boy drove the victim's van back to the Toys "R" Us parking lot where a witness told ABC7 News, he then asked a young female employee if she'd like to go see the new "Twilight" movie with him. When the girl refused, the boy went into the store after her and a short time later employees started yelling.
"All of sudden you hear one of the guys in the back of the store yelling to call 911 and lock the doors, no one in, no one out and everyone runs to the front of the store," the witness said. "A bunch of police come running in through the door and you hear a bunch of stuff going on in the back of the store, shuffling and stuff and after a while they handcuff the kid and brought him forward."
Friday, the store open for business as usual, though some shoppers were nervous about what had happened the night before.
"I heard on the news that someone was abducted from this parking lot at night..that's kind of scary," shopper Sharon Petrellese said.
The 65-year-old victim is recovering at a local hospital.
The 14-year-old is in juvenile hall in Fairfield. He's charged with assault, armed robbery, attempted murder, carjacking and kidnapping for ransom. The gun he had was a fake.
vallejo, crime, sex crimes, north bay news, laura anthony
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 26 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 44 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
16 min ago