North Bay News
Drakes Bay Oyster Co. sues federal government
The owner of Drakes Bay Oyster Company is fighting the government's decision to shut down his business. Drakes Bay at Point Reyes accounts for 40 percent of the state's oyster production.
As ABC7 News reported last week, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar decided the company's lease with the National Park Service would not be renewed and that the site should be returned to its natural state.
Drakes Bay owner Kevin Lunny says the government is misrepresenting the law. He's hired an attorney and has filed a lawsuit against the federal government.
A Department of the Interior spokesman said in an e-mail that Salazar made the decision after considering the applicable law and policy.
The spokesman added that the department would review the complaint and that the department doesn't comment on litigation.
food, point reyes, north bay news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'... 26 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack 14 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos