North Bay News
Teen cited for driving 125 mph on hwy without license
PETALUMA, Calif. -- Petaluma police cited a Point Reyes man early Friday morning for driving 125 mph on southbound U.S. Highway 101.
Officer Matt Capitelli was in the area of Pepper Road and the southbound U.S. Highway 101 on-ramp near the bottom of the Cotati Grade around 1:10 a.m. when he saw a white 2002 BMW 325 driving south in excess of 100 mph in the fast lane of the highway, police Sgt. Ken Savano said.
Radar confirmed the speed was 125 mph, Savano said.
When Salvadore Barajas Miranda, 19, pulled off the highway at the Old Redwood Highway and stopped in a gas station, he told Capitelli he was not sure why he was driving so fast and admitted "it was stupid," Savano said.
Miranda was driving on a permit and did not have a valid license to drive unless he had a licensed driver at least 25 years old in the vehicle, according to Savano.
The passenger in Miranda's vehicle, who was the son of the BMW's owner, did not have a driver's license and was already on probation for driving without a license, Savano said.
Miranda was cited for speeding in excess of 100 mph and driving without a license and was released, Savano said.
Miranda was not under the influence of alcohol and there was no other traffic on the freeway at the time.
The BMW was returned to the passenger's mother, Savano said.
petaluma, point reyes, highway 101, driving, north bay news
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 37 min ago
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 51 min ago
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 16 min ago
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
32 min ago