North Bay News
Police searching for suspect who jumped into creek
MARIN COUNTY, Calif. -- Police are searching for a man who evaded officers by jumping into a creek after being pulled over on suspicion of driving under the influence in unincorporated Marin County this morning, a Ross police chief said.
Officers pulled the man over at about 12:30 a.m. on suspicion of drunk driving in the area of Sir Francis Drake Boulevard and College Avenue, near the College of Marin, Ross police Chief Erik Masterson said.
The man was asked to get out of his car, at which point he fled down College Avenue toward the Corte Madera Creek, Masterson said.
With officers chasing, the man climbed a fence and jumped into the creek, the police chief said.
Masterson said officers followed the man, who was swimming away from them, along the creek, using flashlights to keep an eye on him.
When officers reached a point where they couldn't follow the man any further, they lost sight of him, he said.
Several agencies joined in the search, using a swift-water rescue boat to track the man down, but he was not found, Masterson said. The search was called off at about 4:45 a.m., he said.
Masterson said the search will resume when daylight breaks, around 7 a.m.
Agencies included in the search include Marin County sheriff's office, Twin Cities, Fairfax, Ross and College of Marin police, and Southern Marin, Kentfield, Ross Valley and Marin County fire.
crime, corte madera, marin county, DUI, north bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 29 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 11 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 14 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
11 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
1 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
5 min ago