North Bay News
Vallejo man hit in crosswalk during street race
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- A man was hit in the crosswalk during a street race Monday night. The victim is critically injured and police are hunting for the driver who ran him down.
This is a tragic holiday for a Vallejo man and his family. It happened at Broadway at Hogan Avenue next to Highway 37. The victim was airlifted to John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek and he was in grave condition at last check.
This was a high impact hit and run incident with a debris field scattered across Broadway Street in North Vallejo. Police believe the victim was struck and knocked about 50 feet by either one or two vehicles that were drag racing down the northbound lanes of Broadway around 5:30 p.m.
Detectives labeled about 50 pieces of evidence. Many of them were the personal affects belonging to the unidentified victim. The rest were parts of the vehicle or vehicles involved. Police say cars are known to speed up and down that part of Broadway Street.
"It's something that our traffic unit has been keenly aware of as well as our uniformed police officers who attempt to come out here whenever possible. Obviously, whenever we do traffic enforcements or DUI enforcements this is a particular area that we've always focused on," said Vallejo Police Lt. Sid De Jesus.
The police were paying a lot of attention what may have been some serial numbers on a few car parts left behind, but they aren't giving out a description of the vehicles just yet.
A clerk at a nearby gas station told ABC7 the male victim, who stops by frequently, was in the store and told them he would be right back. Minutes later they heard the crash and realized he had been hit.
Again, that unidentified man is listed in grave condition as of Christmas Eve and police are still looking for the suspect or suspects involved in this incident.
vallejo, pedestrian struck, north bay news, alan wang
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 10 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 3 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos