North Bay News
2 dead after being pulled from water below Golden Gate
TIBURON, Calif. (KGO) -- A tragedy happened Friday night just outside the Golden Gate Bridge. Two people are dead a third person was rescued after they were all swept into the waters off Point Bonita.
Officials believe the victims were fishing when they were swept out to sea. There was a high surf advisory issued earlier on Friday that stretched from San Francisco to the Mendocino Coast.
At about 5 p.m. the Marin County Sheriff's Department received a 911 call that two people had been swept out to sea. It was actually three individuals that were swept out. One person managed to make it to shore and flagged down a car. That car helped them call 911 and report the location of those individuals.
A Tiburon Fire Rescue boat happened to be in the area on a training mission, just off the Marine Headlands and Bonita Cove when the call came in. They were able to pick up a small child and a male adult out of the water. The rescue crew brought them into shore at about 5:30 p.m. and that's where they were pronounced dead.
The single survivor was treated and released. The Marin County Coroner's office is investigating the deaths, but the two people's identities have not yet been released. It is not yet known how they are related.
golden gate bridge, coast guard, tiburon, rescue, north bay news
- 1 dead, 16 injured in East Harlem explosion 26 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos