North Bay News
SF Bay drowning victims ID'd as father and son
TIBURON, Calif. (KGO) -- We're learning more about the father and son who drowned after being swept away by a large wave while fishing Friday afternoon.
The two San Francisco residents, 37-year-old Juan Escamillo-Rojas and his 9-year-old son Juan Carlos Escamillo-Monroy, were last seen trying to reach shore near Point Bonita off the Marin Headlands by their friend who joined them on a Friday fishing trip. That friend, Gabriel Cabrera, also told us how he struggled to try and save them as they tried to reach shore in the frigid waters off the headlands.
The Escamillo and Monroy families came together on Saturday to grieve and say a rosary for the father and son.
We spoke to Cabrera, who was fishing with the two around 4 p.m. when the 9-year-old was swept off the rocks near Bonita Cove by a large wave. In his native Spanish, he described how the father screamed out, "my son my son," and dove into the water to save the boy. He told us how a giant wave after wave washed over him as he tried to find a way to save them. He finally used the only thing he could find -- a fishing rod and line, which he managed to get to the pair. But then the line snapped.
Having no other choice, Cabrera then ran up the hill to call 911. The two were plucked from the water about 100 yards offshore by a Tiburon Fire Department boat and the Coast Guard.
Sister-in-law Gloria Monroy couldn't believe what happened, "And then they told us about the terrible accident that happened to Juan and Juanito. They went fishing and then the big waves came and took them both. It's so horrible."
Gloria also says the family recently lost all they had in a house fire. The family is trying to raise enough money to bury father and son in their native Mexico City.
An account has been set up with Wells Fargo to help the family with funeral costs. Donations can be transferred to Pablo Monroy online to account number 1019708096, or made in person at any Wells Fargo branch.
golden gate bridge, coast guard, tiburon, children, rescue, north bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 40 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 21 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 37 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 25 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
40 min ago