North Bay News
Man found dead after Point Reyes search
POINT REYES, Calif. (KGO) -- A New Year's Day tragedy happened during a walk on the beach in Marin County. The U.S. Coast Guard rushed to help a couple and their dog who were swept into the water by a big wave at Point Reyes. Sadly, one person did not survive.
The waves are high and the water temperature is frigid. A couple was admiring the beach and high surf when a sneaker wave pulled the wife out to shore and the husband went out to rescue her. He helped bring her into shore. Then the dog went in to greet the woman and then the dog was swept out to sea. The man went after the dog and a witness told us what happened next.
"When we arrived the waves were much, much higher and much stronger, and in sequence much quicker. And very, very powerful," said Troella Tyznik, a witness.
Later, after a daylong search, rescuers finally did find the remains of the man and they brought him into shore. Authorities have not yet released the man's name. The woman is fine and the dog survived as well.
coast guard, point reyes, rescue, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Target apologizes after massive data breach 18 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus 16 min ago
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise 36 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla 21 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic...
36 min ago
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos