North Bay News
Donations pouring in after veterans' plaque stolen
PETALUMA, Calif. -- Public response to the recent theft of a memorial plaque honoring 15 Petaluma veterans who died in Vietnam has been "incredible," Petaluma Historical Library and Museum president Joe Noriel said this morning.
The bronze and copper plaque, which is believed to have disappeared from Walnut Park sometime after Dec. 21, was likely stolen for the value of its metal, Petaluma police Sgt. Ralph Evans said.
The plaque measures 25 inches by 30 inches, and is an inch thick. It had been placed in a concrete base near the park's gazebo sometime in the mid-1970s, Evans said.
Noriel said the thief or thieves may have removed the plaque from its base with an electric saw because electricity is available near the memorial.
Petaluma Parks Department employees working in the park on Tuesday discovered it was missing.
Local veterans are raising funds for a new plaque that will be better secured in a new memorial. The replacement will cost about $1,000, Noriel said.
Already, the managers of the Les Schwab Tires stores in Petaluma and Santa Rosa have pledged a total of $1,000, and Powell's Sweet Shoppe in Petaluma has pledged to match donations up to $500, Noriel said.
The Petaluma Firefighters Local 1415 union also offered to donate money, and a veteran has pledged $1,000, said Liz Cohee, the museum's coordinator.
Police are contacting local salvage yards to see if the thief has tried to sell the plaque, Noriel said. Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call police at (707) 778-4372 or the museum at (707) 778-4398.
Tax-deductible donations may be sent to the Petaluma Museum at 20 Fourth St., Petaluma CA. 94952.
petaluma, crime, north bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 1 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 24 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 26 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 38 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 17 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 6 min ago
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos