North Bay News
Police seize 167 lbs. of pot from storage container
SAUSALITO -- Police announced this week the seizure of 167 pounds of marijuana from a storage container in Sausalito in December 2012.
Acting on an anonymous tip, police received the name of a man storing marijuana in a storage container.
Police initiated an investigation to locate the subject and the container.
On Dec. 29, a police detective observed a vehicle registered to the 59-year-old suspect, Nicholas "Nick" Pappas. The vehicle was parked next to a shipping container at Marinship Self Storage, located at 2346 Marinship Way, according to police.
Pappas opened the container and a detective smelled a strong odor of marijuana emanating from the freight container, police said.
Pappas gave the detective consent to search the container.
Police found approximately 40 pounds of marijuana. Further investigation revealed a false wall built inside the container, containing approximately 120 pounds of marijuana, police said.
During the search, Sausalito police also located paraphernalia used for smoking narcotics, 3.7 grams of suspected cocaine and 15 grams of concentrated cannabis.
Pappas told police that he had been growing marijuana in Mendocino County and transporting to his shipping container in Sausalito.
According to police, Pappas also appeared to be living inside the container, which was equipped with electricity a bed and cable television.
Sausalito police arrested Pappas for cultivation and possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The total weight of the seized marijuana came to 167.6 pounds. The estimated street value came to $419,000, according to police.
crime, marijuana, sausalito, north bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos