North Bay News
Man pleads not guilty after confessing in courtroom outburst
FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- One week after he confessed to killing his mother in an emotional courtroom outburst, former death row inmate and double murderer Dennis Stanworth was back before a judge to enter a plea Friday. This time, Stanworth stayed mostly quiet.
Stanworth, 70, entered a not guilty plea to the murder of 90-year-old Nellie Stanworth at his Vallejo home.
"It's a standard plea in any case, a not guilty plea so that's what he entered today," Solano County prosecutor Karen Jensen said.
Jensen says Nellie Stanworth was likely killed in early november. Jensen wouldn't say how the elderly woman died...only that the autopsy revealed it was definitely murder.
Jensen says it does not appear Stanworth's wife Celia knew anything about Nellie's death, even though the woman's body had apparently been on their property for some time.
Stanworth spent seven years on death row for killing two Bay Area teenagers in 1966 and for a series of kidnappings and rapes before and after. In the 70s, California overturned the death penalty and Stanworth was eventually paroled in 1990 for good behavior.
Last week in court, a tearful wheelchair-bound Stanworth blurted "I plead guilty to everything. I did everything. This is the third one."
This time, he was said little, except to ask for a special device for the hard of hearing.
Nonetheless, his prior outburst may come back to haunt the convicted killer.
"It's something that can be used against him; any of his statements can be used against him, so ultimately it's something we can use if we need to," Jensen said.
Stanworth will be back in court for another hearing here next month.
murder, crime, death penalty, vallejo, north bay news, laura anthony
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos