North Bay News
Cause of 5-alarm fire at Fairfield club investigated
FAIRFIELD, Calif. -- Fairfield fire investigators are working to find why how a popular comedy club went up in flames Friday night.
The fire was reported at about 6:45 p.m. by someone who was inside The Original Pepperbelly's Comedy & Variety Theater, located at 849 Texas St.
There were a few employees and customers inside at the time, but police got everyone out quickly.
Fire Chief Vincent Webster says the blaze may have started inside the building. The exterior of the two-story structure, built in the 1960s, remains intact.
The heavy smoke inside the building forced firefighters to call for help from throughout Solano County. Nearly 100 firefighters battled the flames.
The fire was knocked out by about 11 p.m. One crew stayed at the club overnight to make sure there were no flare-ups.
"We have no leads as far as anything being suspicious as far as how the fire started," Battalion Chief Tony Velasquez said. "It's just a normal protocol because it was a five alarm fire."
No injuries were reported and no other buildings were damaged by the fire.
More information about the club can be found at pepperbellys.com/index.cfm.
(Bay City News contributed to this story)
fairfield, fire, north bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 32 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show 49 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos