North Bay News
Missing girl from Suisun City found dead in Fairfield park
FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- Neighbors in Fairfield are reacting to a disturbing discovery at a popular park. A teenage girl's body was found near a gazebo at Allan Witt Park and it is unclear what caused her death.
Police know the girl's name, but they're not releasing it because they're still trying to contact her family. The mystery of this murder is already attracting people here.
Word of the young teenage girl found in this park brought Fairfield resident Lydia Leon and her family to the park on Friday night.
"Since we have kids of our own, just to think of what this poor girl might have gone through," said Leon.
Suisun City police say the girl in her early teens was reported missing Thursday evening around 5:30. About 12 hours later, her naked body was discovered in neighboring Fairfield at Allan Witt Park.
The case is now a homicide investigation, but police aren't sure how she died because there were no wounds indicating a cause of death. They say the girl lived in Suisun City but attended school in Fairfield. The girl's guardian reported her missing.
"They indicated she had last been seen in the morning getting on a bus to go to school, and normally she would return home around 4:20, she didn't, and that's when they became concerned," said Suisun City Police Cmdr. Tim Mattos.
Early on, police got a tip from witness Jack Davey who says he saw something strange as he drove by the park around 5 a.m.
"And I see a car parked in the parking lot facing our direction here, and there was a large man standing in front of it, just standing there. And it just looked odd to me," said Davey.
Police say there are two surveillance cameras on both ends of the park and what that camera captured could solve this case.
fairfield, crime, murder, north bay news, alan wang
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M 56 min ago
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 37 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Big-rig accident blocks WB I-580 lanes in Pleasanton
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae 4 min ago
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Journey guitarist to get married in SF on pay-per-view
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday