North Bay News
One killed in crash on northbound Hwy 101
NOVATO, Calif. -- A 45-year-old man was killed in a crash with a big rig parked on the side of U.S. Highway 101 in Novato this morning, California Highway Patrol officer said.
The man was driving his Dodge Ram pickup truck north on Highway 101 near the Atherton Avenue on-ramp in Novato when for unknown reasons, he went off the roadway and slammed into the back of a parked tank trailer, Officer Andrew Barclay said.
Emergency responders attended to the pickup truck driver, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the big rig had pulled over onto the side of the roadway and was sleeping in the rig's sleeper berth when the crash occurred and was uninjured.
Barclay said the pickup truck driver's name is being withheld as officers attempt to contact the man's family.
CHP investigators do not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Since the crash occurred on a wide shoulder off of the roadway, there was only a minimal effect on traffic.
novato, crash, highway 101, north bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville 13 min ago
- A closer look at the America's Cup catamarans 45 min ago
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing 50 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal 19 min ago
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage 52 min ago
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces 8 min ago
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to...
19 min ago