North Bay News
One killed in crash on northbound Hwy 101
NOVATO, Calif. -- A 45-year-old man was killed in a crash with a big rig parked on the side of U.S. Highway 101 in Novato this morning, California Highway Patrol officer said.
The man was driving his Dodge Ram pickup truck north on Highway 101 near the Atherton Avenue on-ramp in Novato when for unknown reasons, he went off the roadway and slammed into the back of a parked tank trailer, Officer Andrew Barclay said.
Emergency responders attended to the pickup truck driver, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the big rig had pulled over onto the side of the roadway and was sleeping in the rig's sleeper berth when the crash occurred and was uninjured.
Barclay said the pickup truck driver's name is being withheld as officers attempt to contact the man's family.
CHP investigators do not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Since the crash occurred on a wide shoulder off of the roadway, there was only a minimal effect on traffic.
novato, crash, highway 101, north bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos