North Bay News
One killed in crash on northbound Hwy 101
NOVATO, Calif. -- A 45-year-old man was killed in a crash with a big rig parked on the side of U.S. Highway 101 in Novato this morning, California Highway Patrol officer said.
The man was driving his Dodge Ram pickup truck north on Highway 101 near the Atherton Avenue on-ramp in Novato when for unknown reasons, he went off the roadway and slammed into the back of a parked tank trailer, Officer Andrew Barclay said.
Emergency responders attended to the pickup truck driver, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the big rig had pulled over onto the side of the roadway and was sleeping in the rig's sleeper berth when the crash occurred and was uninjured.
Barclay said the pickup truck driver's name is being withheld as officers attempt to contact the man's family.
CHP investigators do not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Since the crash occurred on a wide shoulder off of the roadway, there was only a minimal effect on traffic.
novato, crash, highway 101, north bay news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland 18 min ago
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos