North Bay News
Man injured in crash involving ferry, motorboat dies
TIBURON, Calif. (KGO) -- One of two people injured when a Golden Gate Ferry and a 22-foot motorboat collided in the San Francisco Bay on Saturday has died.
The victim was identified as Harry Holzhauer, 68, of Tigard, Oregon, who moved north from California three years ago and was in San Francisco teaching real estate appraisal courses for his employer, The Portland-based Appraisal Institute. The institute says that Holzhauer was a highly respected real estate appraiser and analyst who spent much of his career and life in Southern California and had just moved to Oregon within the last year.
The U.S. Coast Guard says Holzhauer died Saturday evening about an hour after the power boat he was in collided with the MS San Francisco, a Golden Gate ferry, in the San Francisco Bay at 4 p.m. in Racoon Strait, near Tiburon. The Coast Guard is still investigating the crash; Golden Gate Ferry would not comment while the investigation is still open.
The Coast Guard towed the boat to Tiburon and the victims were flown to the hospital, but no one on the ferry was hurt. The MS San Francisco was taken out of service for inspection and was put back in service Sunday morning.
Golden Gate Ferry says all five crew members were given routine drug and alcohol tests. The crew is back at work while the ferry captain is still out on routine administrative leave.
Experienced boaters say this kind of accident doesn't happen often, but the potential is always there. "There are a lot of boats out and these ferry's move faster than you think when you're out there. You think you've got plenty of room and it turns out they get close to you sooner than you expect," Sausalito sailboat owner Richard Leeds said.
The Appraisal Institute says that Holzhauer leaves behind a wife, two children and six grandchildren.
marin county, tiburon, sausalito, coast guard, crash, boats, north bay news, heather ishimaru
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting 15 min ago
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos