North Bay News
Popular ferry commute could see big changes
LARKSPUR (KGO) -- The Larkspur Ferry was once one of the best kept secrets in the Bay Area. Those days are over. The ferry is so popular today that tickets are often sold out, especially for the 7:50 a.m. and 8:20 a.m. boats.
With boats carrying 5,300 passengers and a limited number of parking spots available, the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District is considering making changes to the popular mode of transportation.
The agency may consider charging for parking, using those funds to build a parking structure. "We need start to really, really aggressively looking at what we can do to sustain our ridership and at the same time continue to provide parking," said Mary Currie of the Golden Gate Bridge District.
"Well with the price of gas nowadays it's becoming more and more affordable and you know as parking prices increase in town, people are probably finding it more affordable to take the ferry rather than trying to find a place to park in town," said Kerry Rotz of San Rafael.
A parking fee would probably be $2.00 or $3.00 for the day. The district is also floating the idea of adding another boat during peak commute times.
It's a positive dilemma to be in, but officials believe something needs to be done sooner rather than later. In fact, a decision could be made in the next couple of months.
transportation, larkspur, san francisco bay, north bay news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday