North Bay News
Parents welcome home baseball teams from Cuba
MILL VALLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a big welcome home for some Tamalpais High School athletes on Friday. The baseball and softball players spent the last nine days in Havana, Cuba playing against students there.
"They played more for like the love of the game which is really cool because you're having more fun while you're playing," said Jack Elias, a sophomore baseball player.
"We learned a lot. We got to see some things that some of these guys have never seen before growing up in Marin County," said Michael Terry, the head baseball coach.
"I heard it was really poor, but proud. And that was very true," said Chloe Jacobs, a sophomore softball player.
"I saw students actually being in the moment, experiencing life in the moment, having fun in the moment. They weren't on their smartphones, texting. They weren't talking to their friends. They were actually participating together as a group," said Brian Zailian, the global studies director.
The parents admit it was a little hard to have their kids so far away.
"Having no contact was hard, but it was great knowing what they were doing every day. We had the itinerary and tried to follow along vicariously," said Michele Jacobs, a parent.
But they know it was worth it.
"I was just so happy to know he was having this once-in-a-lifetime experience. I mean, how many kids get to go to Havana and play baseball?" said Jennifer Turpin, a parent.
The experience was so positive for the kids that the global studies director tells me his goal is to bring some of the Cuban teams visit California to play exhibition games in Mill Valley.
mill valley, children, north bay news, ama daetz
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket 31 min ago
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition 47 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bay Bridge bolt fix running a month behind schedule
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions 26 min ago
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Woman distracted by FB on phone falls off pier
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music 48 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 27 min ago
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car...
26 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning...
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos