North Bay News
Santa Rosa man arrested in fatal hit-and-run collision
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Police arrested a Santa Rosa man Friday in connection with a fatal hit-and-run collision Wednesday.
Officers arrested Steven Harry Heath, 60, in connection with the hit-and-run that killed 64-year-old George Michael Black of Pacifica.
Officers responded to the collision in the 4600 block of Montgomery Drive at 1:08 p.m. and found Black on the side of the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:15 p.m., police said.
Officers were informed that the driver had left, Sgt. Mike Numainville said.
Witnesses said Black was struck by a Mercedes-Benz sedan driven by a white or Hispanic man in his 30s with dark hair, he said.
The car had been last seen heading east on Montgomery Drive, possibly with front-end damage.
On Friday, the law firm of Andrian & Gallenson of Santa Rosa contacted police with the address of the suspect and the suspect vehicle.
Police served a search warrant at a single-family house located at 5562 Pepperwood Road based on the information they received from the suspect's attorney.
During the search of the home, officers located the suspect vehicle, a white 2011 Mercedes-Benz S550 in the garage.
Officers located evidence while at the home that associated the vehicle with the collision and impounded the vehicle.
Heath was located at the home and arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run, police said. He was then booked into Sonoma County Jail.
Anyone with information regarding the collision is urged to contact police at (707) 543-3636.
santa rosa, hit and run, crash, north bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 29 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 29 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 30 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 32 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 29 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 31 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
49 min ago