North Bay News
Man leads CHP on wild chase from Vallejo to Napa
NAPA, Calif. -- A Napa man allegedly caused a series of collisions in a wild pursuit from Vallejo to Napa Friday afternoon before attempting to carjack a motorcycle and another vehicle, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Robert Shank, 42, was driving east on Interstate 80 at Redwood Street in Vallejo around 3:20 p.m. when he first allegedly struck a motorcycle, ejecting the rider, according to CHP Officer Garrett Ray.
Shank allegedly continued east on the freeway with the motorcycle stuck to the front end of the pickup, past a Solano County Sheriff's deputy who began to pursue him, Ray said.
The motorcycle broke free around the state Highway 37 overpass, and Shank continued east at speeds of 90 miles per hour, across multiple lanes of traffic, Ray said.
Shank exited at Red Top Road, took Lopes Road and eventually reentered Interstate 80 traveling west, before exiting again on to westbound state Highway 12.
He allegedly passed vehicles over double yellow lines, side swiping a Ford Ranger and a Mercedes SLK near Kelly Road before proceeding to northbound state Highway 29, Ray said.
There, he began traveling the wrong way in the southbound lanes and drove past state Highway 221 before he collided with a Nissan pickup and Hyundai Genesis in the southbound lanes of the George Butler Bridge, Ray said.
Shank stepped out of his vehicle as a CHP helicopter landed on the scene, and allegedly attempted to carjack a motorcycle and another vehicle, Ray said.
The CHP flight medic on the helicopter pursued Shank on foot and held him at gunpoint until a CHP officer was able to take him into custody, Ray said.
Both the rider of the motorcycle and the driver of the black sedan that Shank attempted to carjack left the scene before the CHP could get their information.
Ray said the CHP is asking them and any other witnesses to call the Napa CHP office at (707) 253-4906 with information.
vallejo, napa, napa county, highway 29, crash, traffic, transportation, north bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday