North Bay News
Firefighters discover pot grow at Novato house fire
NOVATO, Calif. -- Firefighters discovered a marijuana grow operation while battling a one-alarm blaze at a home in Novato late Monday night, a Novato fire battalion chief said.
At 11:23 p.m., the fire department received a report of fire in the 1800 block of Marion Avenue, Battalion Chief Bill Tyler said.
The fire was under control at 11:53 p.m., he said.
Based on a preliminary investigation, Tyler said the fire appears to have been electrical in nature and began in the basement.
The home's electrical system had been set up to illegally bypass the PG&E meter, Tyler said.
No one was at home when the fire started, and no injuries were reported.
The exact cause of the blaze remains under investigation.
novato, fire, pot bust, marijuana, north bay news
- Freeze Warning expires; chilly temperatures remain
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Bay Bridge lanes re-opened after multi-vehicle crash
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need 11 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting 2 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos