North Bay News
Man run over at recycling center in North Bay
NAPA COUNTY, Calif. -- An employee at the Upper Valley Disposal & Recycling facility near St. Helena was killed this morning when he tripped and fell in front of a Freightliner truck, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The victim, identified as Gabriel Diaz-Cervantes, 45, of Calistoga, walked out the side door of an office building at the facility around 3:45 a.m. and fell in front of the tires of a 1984 Freightliner that was passing by at about 2 mph, CHP Officer Garrett Ray said.
The truck's driver, identified as Alan McClure, 58, of Napa, said he did not see Diaz-Cervantes, who also worked as a driver for the company, Ray said.
"Alcohol was not involved and it appears to be a tragic accident," Ray said. The private disposal and recycling facility is located at 1285 Whitehall Lane in Saint Helena. Ray said it is believed that Diaz-Cervantes had just clocked in to begin his workday when the incident happened.
Cal/OSHA is expected to investigate the incident, Ray said.
napa county, north bay news
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal 1 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Scrabble asks fans to choose new word for dictionary
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos