North Bay News
Animal group warns beachgoers to give young seals space
SAUSALITO, Calif. (KGO) -- The seal pupping season is underway along the California coast. The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito is putting out the word to beachgoers to steer clear of the young animals.
Nineteen elephant seals are already being cared for at the Marine Mammal Center and more distressed animals are on the way from as far away as Southern California.
When the infants come in, staff feeds them through tubes placed into their stomach. Eventually that leads to a process called "fish school," where volunteers teach the elephant seals to chase, and then eat herring.
"The animal needs to know that fish are what he is interested in," volunteer Sherry Riley said.
The experts say if members of the public see one of the animals in distress, they should leave it alone. The animals are cute until they bite you. Anyone concerned about an animal possibly being in distress should call the Marine Mammal Center. They have some 200 volunteers in the area who will go out and rescue the pup if they determine that it really is in distress.
animal, animals in peril, marine mammal center, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 56 min ago
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued 32 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 26 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
23 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T...
56 min ago