North Bay News
Paramedics help save boy's life in Rohnert Park
ROHNERT PARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Two off-duty paramedics are credited with saving the life of an 8-year-old boy who went into cardiac arrest after being hit with a baseball during a Cal Ripken Baseball League game.
Witnesses say the boy was hit in the chest with a pitch. He then took a few steps toward first base and then collapsed.
Seasoned paramedics Susan and Dan Farren knew immediately that something was wrong and sprang into action.
The boy was unresponsive so they started performing CPR until an ambulance could arrive.
"You know, we both saw him get hit. I think both of us, our first instinct, was that, you know he was ok. He was still standing there. He bent over a little bit and then he began to run and I, my first thought was 'oh, thank goodness.' And then he made it about 10 feet, and then he dropped," Susan said.
"There was no talking. There wasn't any preparation. It was just 'go to work, right now,'" Dan said.
The Farrens say that CPR chest compressions keep blood flowing to the brain, which is important because blood keeps the brain alive as long as possible.
A public safety officer used a defibrillator to deliver a shock to the boy and he regained consciousness.
children, rohnert park, north bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos