North Bay News
Travis AFB airman killed in motorcycle crash
NAPA COUNTY, Calif. -- A Travis Air Force Base airman was killed when his motorcycle collided with a van allegedly driven by a drunken driver near Lake Berryessa on Sunday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart identified the crash victim as 42-year-old Sgt. David Robert Fernandez.
Fernandez and Michael Manalo, 31, of Fairfield, were riding their Yamaha motorcycles east on state Highway 128 east of Wragg Canyon Road when the crash happened around 12:45 p.m., CHP Officer Jaret Paulson said.
Both motorcyclists were passing traffic as they approached a 1997 Chevrolet van that was being driven east on the highway by Austin Meade, 28, of Oakland, Paulson said.
Meade turned left toward the road's north shoulder in front of the bikers and the motorcycles broadsided the van, Paulson said.
Fernandez was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:40 p.m. Stuart said. Manalo suffered moderate injuries and was taken by ambulance to the Queen of the Valley Medical Center, Paulson said.
Meade was not injured and was booked into Napa County Jail on suspicion of DUI, Paulson said.
napa county, crash, north bay news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 57 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 25 min ago
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire 13 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
46 min ago