North Bay News
Travis AFB airman killed in motorcycle crash
NAPA COUNTY, Calif. -- A Travis Air Force Base airman was killed when his motorcycle collided with a van allegedly driven by a drunken driver near Lake Berryessa on Sunday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart identified the crash victim as 42-year-old Sgt. David Robert Fernandez.
Fernandez and Michael Manalo, 31, of Fairfield, were riding their Yamaha motorcycles east on state Highway 128 east of Wragg Canyon Road when the crash happened around 12:45 p.m., CHP Officer Jaret Paulson said.
Both motorcyclists were passing traffic as they approached a 1997 Chevrolet van that was being driven east on the highway by Austin Meade, 28, of Oakland, Paulson said.
Meade turned left toward the road's north shoulder in front of the bikers and the motorcycles broadsided the van, Paulson said.
Fernandez was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:40 p.m. Stuart said. Manalo suffered moderate injuries and was taken by ambulance to the Queen of the Valley Medical Center, Paulson said.
Meade was not injured and was booked into Napa County Jail on suspicion of DUI, Paulson said.
napa county, crash, north bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 29 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 27 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos