North Bay News
Travis AFB airman killed in motorcycle crash
NAPA COUNTY, Calif. -- A Travis Air Force Base airman was killed when his motorcycle collided with a van allegedly driven by a drunken driver near Lake Berryessa on Sunday afternoon, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart identified the crash victim as 42-year-old Sgt. David Robert Fernandez.
Fernandez and Michael Manalo, 31, of Fairfield, were riding their Yamaha motorcycles east on state Highway 128 east of Wragg Canyon Road when the crash happened around 12:45 p.m., CHP Officer Jaret Paulson said.
Both motorcyclists were passing traffic as they approached a 1997 Chevrolet van that was being driven east on the highway by Austin Meade, 28, of Oakland, Paulson said.
Meade turned left toward the road's north shoulder in front of the bikers and the motorcycles broadsided the van, Paulson said.
Fernandez was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:40 p.m. Stuart said. Manalo suffered moderate injuries and was taken by ambulance to the Queen of the Valley Medical Center, Paulson said.
Meade was not injured and was booked into Napa County Jail on suspicion of DUI, Paulson said.
napa county, crash, north bay news
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 35 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 10 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos