North Bay News
Cross country golf cart ride to raise money for vets
PETALUMA, Calif. (KGO) -- The United States Coast Guard kicked off a unique coast-to-coast fundraiser on Monday for the Wounded Warrior Project, which helps injured military personnel.
The organization Go Carts organized a coast-to-coast journey to raise money for wounded veterans. They're driving an electric golf cart across the United States, from the Coast Guard training station in Petaluma to the training station in Yorktown, Virginia.
The car is street legal but can only travel at 25 miles per hour. A rotation of 15 active-duty, retired, and reserve Coast Guard members will make the 3,900 mile trek.
This journey to help their brethren is more than a year in the making.
The effort wouldn't be possible without personal sacrifice and support from across the nation. The golf cart and official chase car were donated and the Coast Guard Members are using about 25 out of their 30 annual vacation days.
During their journey, they will stop at veterans of foreign wars posts, disabled American veterans chapters, American legions, veterans' hospitals, but they need help. Their goal is to raise $50,000.
Their cross-country drive will end the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
coast guard, veterans, air force, army, navy, marines, petaluma, military, fundraiser, north bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday