North Bay News
Fire department volunteer arrested on suspicion of arson
BENICIA, Calif. -- A volunteer with the Benicia Fire Department was arrested early Monday morning on suspicion of arson and attempted arson in connection with three fires that took place Friday night, police said Monday.
Robert Edward McKinley, 23, was arrested around 1:11 a.m. today near the scene of an arson attempt at 3300 Park Road, Lt. Frank Hartig said Monday.
Police were searching for a suspect seen running from the scene when they found McKinley nearby in the parking lot of Alex's Automotive at 3190 Bayshore Road.
He was with his vehicle, which had a flat tire, and had black soot and ash on his hands, shoes and face, Hartig said. When officers searched his vehicle they found evidence linking him to previous arson fires.
McKinley is now suspected of starting a fire around 10:30 p.m. Saturday on Cambridge Drive near Capitol Drive, possibly using tissue paper. At around 11:19 p.m., two other fires were discovered on Reservoir Road, again with tissue paper at the point of origin.
A witness reported seeing a sedan similar to McKinley's vehicle leaving the scene of the Reservoir Road fires. Police also located wadded up tissue paper similar to the earlier fires at the scene of the attempted arson on Park Road, Hartig said.
McKinley was arrested on two counts of arson and one count of attempted arson.
Investigators have since determined that McKinley is a volunteer with the Benicia Fire Department.
benicia, arson, crime, fire, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos