North Bay News
North Vallejo Little League cancels Saturday games after shooting
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Vallejo Little League players are disappointed after they learned that all of thier Saturday games were cancelled because of another shooting near one of their fields. This is the second time shots were fired near North Vallejo little league players.
Sebastian Curran should be pitching against the Giants, but instead he's practicing with his 8-year-old brother.
It's because North Vallejo Little League has cancelled all of its Saturday games for the second time in three weeks after gun shots were fired near one of the league's games.
"I guess you could say it's kinda frequent," one player said.
The 12-year-old heard the gun shots that rang out near Thurman Field on Thursday. Police say someone in one car fired into another car at 6 p.m. No one from the league was involved or hurt.
"To have someone be as callous as that and not think about the lives they are putting in danger is just incomprehensible," Vallejo Little League President Greg Reason said.
But this isn't the first time young players have been near gun fire. On April 17, shots were fired after a T-ball game at John Williams Field.
No one was hurt then either, but the league briefly suspended the season. Games resumed a few days later.
"I was extremely angry at the first one. I was even more angry at the second one," parent Amber Curran said. Both of her sons play in the league. "It made me really sad and I started wondering if I was going to let them play."
Curran decided only to let them play in games she can attend. However, she said explaining that to these boys isn't easy.
Games will be played at Dan Foley Park starting on Monday. League officials say they are sure their players will be safer there.
The league is also calling on city leaders to make the neighborhood near Thurman and Williams Fields more of a priority. They say more officers are needed now.
vallejo, guns, shooting, children, north bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 53 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes 40 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 27 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos