North Bay News
Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- At least 20 people had to leave their homes after a fire destroyed two apartment units and damaged several others. A man is alive because of the quick-thinking and heroics of firefighters and neighbors.
A disoriented man in his 60s was trapped on his balcony as flames ripped through his one-bedroom apartment.
"We tried to help him to come out, but he kept going back again to inside," said Joanne Escalambre, an apartment resident.
"Then he fell back into the fire. He had burns on his back and shoulders. So he was burning up in there," said Vallejo Fire Capt. Kevin Hickey.
That's when Hickey ran up the ladder and into the black smoke and flames.
"I could hear the firefighter, [Hickey], yelling at the victim to let go," said Vallejo Batt. Chief David Urrutia.
"Yeah, it was dead weight. He was grabbing on to something, then I got his hands free and picked him up, but I definitely needed help with somebody on the ladder to pass him off to," said Hickey.
Urrutia usually lets the younger guys do the heavy lifting, but he was the only one on hand. In fact, Escalambre and two other neighbors had to steady the ladder.
"I wouldn't have wanted to fall from the second story carrying someone down the ladder," said Urrutia.
The elderly man had second degree burns, but he's alive.
vallejo, fire, north bay news, alan wang
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids 15 min ago
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 18 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos