North Bay News
Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- At least 20 people had to leave their homes after a fire destroyed two apartment units and damaged several others. A man is alive because of the quick-thinking and heroics of firefighters and neighbors.
A disoriented man in his 60s was trapped on his balcony as flames ripped through his one-bedroom apartment.
"We tried to help him to come out, but he kept going back again to inside," said Joanne Escalambre, an apartment resident.
"Then he fell back into the fire. He had burns on his back and shoulders. So he was burning up in there," said Vallejo Fire Capt. Kevin Hickey.
That's when Hickey ran up the ladder and into the black smoke and flames.
"I could hear the firefighter, [Hickey], yelling at the victim to let go," said Vallejo Batt. Chief David Urrutia.
"Yeah, it was dead weight. He was grabbing on to something, then I got his hands free and picked him up, but I definitely needed help with somebody on the ladder to pass him off to," said Hickey.
Urrutia usually lets the younger guys do the heavy lifting, but he was the only one on hand. In fact, Escalambre and two other neighbors had to steady the ladder.
"I wouldn't have wanted to fall from the second story carrying someone down the ladder," said Urrutia.
The elderly man had second degree burns, but he's alive.
vallejo, fire, north bay news, alan wang
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas 37 min ago
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View 21 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday