North Bay News
Two men killed during shooting at Vallejo birthday party
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Eight children are without fathers after two men died during a shooting at a birthday party in Vallejo Saturday night. Police say a gunman shot several people at a house on Linfield Drive.
The two men who were killed worked as landscapers. Their families told us they don't know why anyone would want them dead. They and Vallejo police are now searching for a motive in this shooting.
Alfredo Sanchez should be celebrating his 53rd birthday. Instead, family and friends are laying flowers where he fell. According to his brother-in-law, Jose Lopez, he was shot four times in the chest.
"We're feeling bad, the whole family is in shock," Lopez said. "We can't believe it, nobody knows exactly why the people shot."
Sanchez, who has four children, was celebrating with three friends and several young children at a neighbor's garage on Linfield Drive near Olympia Drive. At about 11:40 p.m., witnesses say a man walked up near the driveway and started shooting. First Sanchez was hit, then a close friend.
Faustino Gonzales was hit in the head stomach and chest. The 41-year-old also has four children, all boys.
Two other adult men were grazed by more than 20 shots the family says were fired at the group.
Sixteen-year-old Manuel was hit during the shooting. His mother did not want him shown on camera.
"I seen, like, sparks," he said. "I seen a bullet, like, I don't know it hit the cement and it hit my foot."
The teen is actually carrying around evidence in this shooting.
Manuel: "They left the bullet, just left it in there." Tomas: "The bullet's still inside?" Manuel: "Yeah, they said til Monday."
The family says they don't have any idea why someone would want to kill anyone in their group.
"We don't have no problems with nobody," said Alfredo's cousin, Rolando Sanchez. "We work every day just like everybody else."
Vallejo police are investigating, but have little to go on.
"We're looking for a Hispanic male, approximately 20 to 30 years old, 5' 6" tall with a medium build," Lt. Kevin Bartlett said.
Vallejo police say the shooter also has a moustache and a goatee. Investigators are now working on a composite drawing to see if they can make an arrest in this case.
This was Vallejo's eighth and ninth homicides so far this year.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Vallejo Police Department at (800) 488-9383.
shooting, crime, violence, guns, vallejo, children, north bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 39 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy 45 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos