North Bay News
Suspect killed by Vallejo police armed with weapon
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A man on a boat fatally shot by police on Tuesday night at a marina in Vallejo was armed with a modified flare gun, according to police.
Police identified the man as 40-year-old Timothy John Walker.
At 7:09 p.m., Vallejo police received a report of a loud verbal and physical altercation inside a boat in the marina at 42 Harbor Way, police said.
A police officer arrived at the marina to investigate the reported fight at about 8:06 p.m.
The officer located a man, later identified as Walker, on a large live-aboard boat, police said.
According to police, Walker pointed a weapon at the officer. Acting in self-defense, the officer drew his gun and fired at the suspect.
Walker was transported by ambulance to Kaiser Hospital in Vallejo, where he died of his injuries, police said.
The weapon Walker was carrying was a flare gun modified to be a handheld shotgun, according to police. It was painted black and the gun's breech was reinforced.
After searching the boat, police found shotgun ammunition and a .22 caliber bolt-action rifle equipped with a silencer, police said.
The Vallejo police officer was not injured during the incident and has been placed on administrative leave in accordance with department procedure.
The shooting is being investigated by the Solano County District Attorney's Office and the Vallejo Police Department.
vallejo, crime, shooting, guns, north bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 21 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 50 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 55 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday