North Bay News
Stabbing suspect fatally shot by police near Starbucks identified
WINDSOR, Calif. -- A woman stabbed at a Windsor Starbucks Saturday morning in an incident that ended in a fatal officer-involved shooting was the mother of the suspect's adult child, police said.
The suspect, who has been identified as Urbano Moreno Morales, 48, allegedly stabbed the woman at the 1001 McClelland Drive cafe shortly before 7:30 a.m., according to a statement from Santa Rosa Police Capt. Craig Schwartz.
The woman, a Windsor resident, is being treated for major wounds she suffered in the attack but will survive, Schwartz said. Her identity is being withheld because she is the victim of a domestic violence incident.
Morales allegedly fled toward the Windsor Town Green and Police Department after slashing the victim.
He fled from one deputy, who reported that he was slashing himself with a knife, but was stopped at gunpoint by two other deputies near the police department.
The deputies shouted commands at Morales and attempted to use a Taser to take him into custody, but when he ignored their commands and charged at them they opened fire, Schartz said.
Morales was pronounced dead at 7:38 a.m.
Investigators have since determined that Morales and the victim had a previous romantic relationship and an adult child together.
The Santa Rosa Police Department and the Sonoma County District Attorney's office are investigating the officer-involved shooting.
crime, windsor, north bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers 18 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos