North Bay News
Fire causes propane tanks to explode in Santa Rosa
SANTA ROSA -- A fire that caused propane tanks to explode burned the garages of two residences in northwest Santa Rosa this morning, a Santa Rosa Fire Department battalion chief said.
Firefighters who arrived around 9:25 a.m. found flames burning the inside and outside of a garage at 1414 Tuliptree Road, Battalion Chief Mark Basque said.
The fire burned through a wood fence between 1414 and 1418 Tuliptree Road and caused 5-gallon propane tanks between the residences that were exposed to the extreme heat to explode, Basque said.
Lawn mowers and gas cans between the fences of the two residences also were destroyed, Basque said.
The fire also reached the garage at 1418 Tuliptree Road prompting a second alarm.
The resident at 1414 Tuliptree Road evacuated before the fire department arrived, and the residents next door were not at home at the time of the fire but arrived after the fire was under control, Basque said.
A small dog was found safe in a backyard and returned to the residents.
The fire caused very serious damage to the interior and exterior of the garage and personal belongings at 1414 Tuliptree Road, Basque said.
The blaze caused moderate damage to the exterior of the garage at 1418 Tuliptree Road but the interior of the house was not affected, Basque said.
PG&E responded to secure gas meters and electrical panels that were damaged by the flames, Basque said. The fire left both homes uninhabitable and the Red Cross responded to find shelters and supplies for the occupants.
The fire caused damage estimated at $300,000 and the cause is under investigation, Basque said.
santa rosa, fire, north bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice 53 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Cold snap damages plants in Bay Area yards
37 min ago