North Bay News
Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
BENICIA, Calif. -- Fire crews have contained most of a grass fire burning in an open space area in Benicia that has now grown to 50 acres, a Cal Fire spokesman said.
Crews responded to reports of a fire near an industrial park in the 4500 block of California Court around 2:20 p.m., according to a Benicia fire dispatcher.
The fire, which is burning near Lake Herman Road about a mile west of Interstate Highway 680, spread quickly, fueled by 20 mph winds and dry conditions, Cal Fire spokesman Daniel Berlant said.
Crews had contained about 60 percent of the blaze and stopped the fire's forward spread as of 4:45 p.m., Berlant said.
No buildings were threatened by the fire and no injuries were reported.
Berlant advised motorists on Highway 680 to drive cautiously, as smoke from the fire may cause a distraction during the evening commute.
benicia, cal fire, fire, wildfire, north bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 23 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
55 min ago