North Bay News
Sonoma-Marin Fair holding annual "Ugliest Dog" contest
PETALUMA, Calif. -- Will Icky get picked or will Boolah win the moolah?
Both have been entered in this year's Ugliest Dog Contest, which takes place Friday at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma. It's the 25th year of the contest.
Besides worldwide acclaim, the prizes for the winning dog and its owner are $1,500, a trophy, a photo session with photographer Kira Stackhouse, and VIP treatment at the Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma hotel that includes a catered dinner for the dog and the owner in the luxurious Loft Suite.
One of the judges this year is Jon Provost, who played "Timmy" in the Lassie television show.
Syndicated radio personalities Bob Lacey and Sheri Lynch, known as Bob and Sheri to listeners of The Mix 104.9 FM in Sonoma County, will host the contest.
A Dog Lovers' Festival starts at 1 p.m. and includes booths selling dog-friendly merchandise and the official 160-page World's Ugliest Dogs 25th Anniversary book, which contains humorous photos of the dogs taken by photographers, along with profiles of the dogs and their owners.
The four-legged contestants will walk the red carpet at 5:30 p.m., and the contest will begin on the Kiwanis stage at 6 p.m. "More than half the contestants are brand-new, and a lot of the time the winner is a new dog," Sonoma-Marin Fair spokeswoman Vicki DeArmon said.
"This year there are more pugs than ever," DeArmon said.
She expects 25-30 dogs will compete.
Other breeds in the contest are pedigrees and mutt mixes of Chihuahua, Chinese Crested, boxer, terrier, poodles and Peruvian. Their names include Sophie, Toots, Chupe, Cyndi Loo, Buster, Samson, Trixie, Monkey Man and Poloka.
Last year's winner was Mugly, a Chinese Crested dog from the United Kingdom. There are no entries from outside the United States this year.
The Sonoma-Marin Fair starts today at the Petaluma Fairgrounds and runs through Sunday.
petaluma, sonoma county, marin county, animal, north bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 27 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 43 min ago
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos