North Bay News
Mutt wins 'Ugliest Dog' contest at Sonoma-Marin fair
PETALUMA, Calif. -- A hunchback mutt from Chico named Walle beat out 29 other competitors on Friday to win the "World's Ugliest Dog" title at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma.
While Walle is more photogenic than last year's winner, "Mugly," whose images are gasp-inspiring, his overall presence was what swayed the judges, contest producer Vicki DeArmon said.
"You have to see him walk to appreciate him," she said.
DeArmon said Walle -- who is a beagle-basset-boxer mix -- has a huge head, a short and thick stature, and waddles like a duck.
Walle's owner Tammie Barbee entered him in the competition just minutes before the deadline, DeArmon said.
For his win, he and Barbee will receive $1,500, a trophy and some fame -- the two are scheduled to appear on the Today Show on Monday and Jimmy Kimmel Live on Wednesday, she said.
DeArmon said a judge commented that Walle looks like he has been photoshopped with pieces from various dogs, and that his owner is often told he is "not right" -- but that was just the recipe for success Friday.
The breeds of the other contestants included Chihuahua, Chinese Crested, boxer, terrier, pug, poodle and Peruvian, organizers said.
Friday's competition marked the 25th anniversary of the ugly dog contest.
petaluma, sonoma county, marin county, animal, north bay news
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 34 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 36 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 4 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 12 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos