North Bay News
2 men arrested after pursuit that led to Santa Rosa fire
SANTA ROSA, Calif. -- Firefighters have extinguished an 82-acre vegetation fire in unincorporated Sonoma County southwest of Santa Rosa that started when a vehicle pursued by Sonoma County sheriff's detectives stalled and caught fire in a field.
The fire in the field at the end of Primrose Avenue spread east through pastureland toward U.S. Highway 101, Central Fire Authority Battalion Chief Matt Gustafson said.
Fire crews from several agencies kept the blaze away from residences and outbuildings, helped move cattle to safety, washed away fire retardant dropped by aircraft off of houses and mended fences this afternoon, Gustafson said.
The fire was out, except for some hot spots, by 4 p.m., Gustafson said.
Sheriff's Lt. Steve Brown said detectives in an unmarked vehicle traveling north on Corby Avenue saw a known probationer in a Ford Mustang heading south on Corby Avenue around 2 p.m.
The driver of the Mustang fled when the detectives made a U-turn in pursuit. The Mustang drove south on U.S. Highway 101 and abruptly exited at Todd Road, Brown said. The Mustang drove west on Todd Road then south on Primrose Avenue, which dead-ends at a field, Brown said.
When the Mustang stalled and caught fire in the field, the two occupants in the car ran with the deputies in pursuit, Brown said.
Detectives caught 38-year-old Jesse James Lee of Rohnert Park and his passenger 24-year-old Robert Lee Orr of Santa Rosa, Brown said.
Lee was arrested for arson, evading police, resisting arrest and a violation of probation. Lee also had two misdemeanor and one felony warrants for his arrest, Brown said.
Orr was arrested for resisting arrest, arson and a violation of probation. Both were booked in the Sonoma County jail.
Firefighters from Cal Fire, Gold Ridge, Rincon Valley and Central Fire responded to the vegetation fire.
santa rosa, fire, north bay news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas 27 min ago
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View 11 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday