North Bay News

Man burned while allegedly making hash oil

Thursday, July 11, 2013

A man was critically injured in an explosion that occurred while he was making hash oil in the bathroom of his Santa Rosa apartment on Tuesday night, a police sergeant said.

Miguel Ceja, 31, was making "honey oil," which is extracted from marijuana, in the apartment at 934 Clark St. around 8 p.m. when the explosion happened, Santa Rosa police Sgt. David Linscomb said.

Linscomb said the extremely combustible butane Ceja was using in the manufacturing process was ignited by a heat source, possibly a furnace pilot.

Ceja suffered severe burns over most of his body and was taken to a hospital by his girlfriend, Linscomb said. He was later flown to St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco for treatment of life-threatening burns.

Two women who were in the second-story apartment near downtown Santa Rosa were not injured, Linscomb said.

The Santa Rosa police and fire departments are investigating the incident.

(Copyright 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. Is prohibited.)

Get more North Bay News »


Tags:
santa rosa, fire, north bay news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement