North Bay News
Mom blames meth for allegedly abandoning baby at gas station
FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- The 21-year-old mother accused of abandoning her baby at a Vallejo gas station over the weekend says her addiction crystal meth has led her to make choices that have left her completely despondent and with little hope. Joia Hukill spoke to ABC7 News from the Solano County Jail.
"I was using dope, and I forgot him there," Hukill said of leaving her 1-year-old son in a gas station bathroom.
Hukill sits in the Solano County Jail -- forced to confront the demons she says put her there.
"I would advise anyone who's ever done drugs, don't try them," she said.
Police arrested Hukill after they say she left her 1-year-old son Charles in a gas station bathroom.
Surveillance video shows a woman wheel the child into the bathroom in a stroller, stay for about nine minutes and then leave without him.
Charles is believed to have been left all alone for about an hour.
The incident leaves some questioning if Hukill even wants her baby.
"I could really give 2 cents what everyone else thinks; I don't care what they think," Hukill said.
Hukill says she was so high on crystal meth that everything was a blur. After police posted a photo of the boy, investigators were able to locate Hukill at her home, where she was arrested and taken into custody without incident.
She insists her actions were not meant to be malicious or to endanger her child.
"I went there to use the bathroom and I forgot him there," she said. "It's not 'Hey, let's leave my kid here and somebody will pick him up,' No, I was really f***ed up and I forgot him."
Making her struggle even tougher, Hukill says, is the weight of being a single mother with no help from her family and no help from the boy's father.
vallejo, children, drugs, crime, parenting, north bay news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 45 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- SUV crashes into gas station in Oakland 20 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos