North Bay News
Man armed with gun, machete arrested after standoff in Vallejo
VALLEJO, Calif. -- Police arrested a man armed with a gun and machete in Vallejo following a standoff Friday night.
At 8:24 p.m., officers were dispatch to Delta Meadows Park, near the intersection of Candy and Jack London drives, on a report that a man with a knife was chasing children.
Upon arrival at the park, officers spoke with the victims and several witnesses. They reported that a man came into the park armed with a machete and a gun, police said.
The witnesses and victims pointed out the suspect's house to police. The suspect was identified as 44-year-old Frederick Neil Hines.
Officers attempted to contact Hines at a house in the 100 block of Lilac Court, located about one block from the park.
Police said Hines came out of the house briefly via a side garage door before retreating back inside and shutting off the lights.
Officers surrounded the house and attempted to draw Hines out of the house. Police called his phone and used a loud speaker.
When Hines did not come out, officers fired foam bullets and used a flash bang device to get his attention.
After about 70 minutes, Hines came out a sliding glass door in the back of the house and surrendered to police.
Neither the victims nor Hines sustained any injury, according to police.
Hines was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and booked into the Solano County Jail.
Police are also asking that anyone with information about a child and the female subject who left the child at the park on Friday night call Vallejo police at (707) 648-4488.
vallejo, guns, standoff, north bay news
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits 11 min ago
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday