North Bay News
Accused serial killer Naso gives closing arguments
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (KGO) -- In Marin County Friday, the man accused of murdering four women decades ago gave the closing arguments in his own trial. Joseph Naso is representing himself.
"It's probably the dumbest thing, crimes are so serious he needs an attorney," Larry Roggasch said.
Roggasch, who believes his sister was murdered by Naso, was in the courtroom when the accused serial killer began his own closing arguments.
Naso starting by complimenting the jury saying, "You remind me of a wedding reception; something old, something borrowed and something blue."
At times the 79-year-old rambled and repeated himself, saying the case against him is weak. Naso is charged with the murder of four women decades ago, including 18-year-old Roxene Roggasch whose body was found in Fairfax in 1977.
DNA evidence linked Naso to the crime, but he says, "I may have had sex with her but I didn't kill her."
He then told the jury, "Evidence is like the weather it's always changing."
It will be up to the jury to decide if it's the musings of a misunderstood photographer or the scheming's of a deprived serial killer," legal analyst Steven Clark said.
Naso is trying to counter 70 witnesses and a so-called rape journal seized as evidence.
"The man's done for; he's trying to convince jury but he's pissing people off," Roggasch said.
Roggasch wants justice for his sister Roxene.
"He needs to go to prison and be treated like he treated the girls," Roggasch said.
Naso's closing arguments will continue on Monday.
marin county, crime, murder, trials, joseph naso, north bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 27 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
25 min ago