North Bay News
Endangered fin whale dies at Stinson Beach
STINSON BEACH, Calif. (KGO) -- An endangered fin whale washed ashore on a Marin County beach Monday morning. It was second in size next to its massive cousin, the blue whale.
Not only are they large whales, but they live a long time. The average fin whale lives more than 100 years.
Stinson is a world famous beach not far from where Sir Francis Drake supposedly first landed, but that's not what drew the crowds and the crowd watchers.
"People are curious about it. They want to look at it," one man said.
"I just saw a bunch of people and then the first thing my mom said was, 'there is a whale." bystander Amelia Rosenman said.
When the 42-foot-long endangered species fin whale washed ashore it was clearly in distress.
"It was still alive at 7 a.m. when I got here. It died about a quarter to 10. It made one last push to try and get offshore," Stinson Beach Fire Department Chief Kenny Stevens said.
After the whale died, attempts to haul its 30-ton carcass out of the water failed.
Even at less than a year old, the whale was just too heavy.
By then, the rescue operation had become one of disposal.
"If you take it out back in the water, it will wash up and be somebody else's problem," Stevens said.
When the tide went out, researchers from Marin County's Marine Mammal Center performed a necropsy on the whale.
Dr. Shawn Johnson and his team examined everything from the heart, lungs, thorax and stomach.
"If it was human related we want to find that reason, if it's disease we want to better understand what is affecting the populations of these endangered whales," Johnson said.
Only 3,200 fin whales remain along the Pacific Coast.
Officials plan to bury the endangered fin whale at the beach.
whale, stinson beach, marin county, north bay news, wayne freedman
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 19 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets 21 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families 56 min ago
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 9 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to...
56 min ago