North Bay News
Police arrest man accused of burglarizing Sausalito bank
SAUSALITO, Calif. -- Police in Sausalito arrested a San Francisco man who allegedly robbed a bank on Friday.
Carl Bellenir, 49, allegedly walked into the Bank of America at 750 Bridgeway at about 10:25 a.m. and went to a teller looking to cash in $65 in rolled dimes, police said.
Prior to giving Bellenir the money, the teller inspected the rolls. However, after he had gone, the teller broke open a roll and found it was pennies flanked with dimes, according to police.
As the teller was giving officers her report of the crime, she spotted Bellenir walking on the sidewalk, entering a Wells Fargo Bank, police said.
Officers were able to contact Bellenir, who told police he works at the Sizzler restaurant in San Leandro and his boss paid him $65 in dimes. The restaurant denied Bellenir is an employee there, police said.
After talking with Bellenir, police determined he went into the bank with the intent to steal money, according to police.
Police said Bellenir got the pennies, dimes and empty paper coin rolls at the Wells Fargo Bank and used them at the Bank of America.
He then obtained another $10 in pennies when he was seen leaving the Wells Fargo.
He was arrested and booked into Marin County Jail on suspicion of commercial robbery.
crime, sausalito, north bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF 20 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 1 min ago
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 59 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case